McCormick Flavour Forecast® 2017
Taste it Forward
The McCormick Flavour Forecast® identifies top trends and ingredients shaping the future of flavour. This year features a global spin on breakfast, the sizzling tastes of Plancha grilling, egg yolks infused with savoury flavour, the new Mediterranean cuisine for the 21st century and the next wave of spicy flavour. We invite you to taste it forward – discover, experience and share the flavours of 2017.
- Rise & Shine to Global Tastes – Breakfast options with big, global flavours are being sought after by a generation of flavour adventurists not content with the same boring bowl. Try warm, sweet congee or a Middle Eastern-inspired breakfast hash topped with a spicy skhug sauce.
- Taste It: Breakfast Hash with Skhug Sauce - Tender chickpeas, ground lamb or beef and roasted vegetables seasoned with a blend of coriander, cumin and fennel.
- Say It: Skhug [shug], this complex Middle Eastern hot sauce is made with Thai bird eye chilies, cumin, cardamom, coriander, garlic, parsley, cilantro, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Plancha: Flat-Out Grilling – Hailing from Spain, France’s Basque region as well as Mexico, the plancha (a thick, flat slab of cast iron) is growing in popularity around the world for creating a sizzling, smoky sear and flavour crust. Grillers can easily use the plancha with meats, seafood and vegetables, paired with bold sauces, rubs and glazes.
- Taste It: Espelette Pepper-Rubbed Steak a la Plancha - a zesty, Mediterranean-herb rub enhances juicy steak grilled on a sizzlin’ hot plancha.
Say It: Espelette [es-PE-let] pepper, originating from the Basque region of France, delivers a distinctively smoky, sweet and mildly hot flavour.
- Egg Yolks: The Sunny Side of Flavour – Egg yolks leave breakfast behind! Whether poached, fried or cured, chefs are pairing these indulgent golden gems with a range of spices, herbs and sauces on lunch and dinner menus.
- Taste It: Mediterranean Vegetable Shakshuka - Sunny-side-up egg yolks simmered in a tomato and vegetable sauce make a rustic supper.
Say It: Shakshuka [shahk-SHOO-kah], flavoured with a savoury spice blend of smoked paprika, cumin, pepper, cayenne, turmeric and caraway.
- Modern Med – Discover the new cuisine for the 21st century - melding Eastern Mediterranean ingredients with Western European classics.
- Taste It: Persian Minestrone - Persian Ash-e reshteh meets Italian minestrone.
- Say It: Ash-e Reshteh [OSH-e-resh-tay], a thick, hearty soup made with beans, herbs, turmeric and flat noodles.
To view and explore the full Flavour Forecast 2017 report, including recipes, visit Flavour.ca